August 7, 2008

Star in Your Own READ Mini Poster

One of the fun projects I’ve got­ten to shep­herd at work is now avail­able for you to play with — the READ Mini Poster Gen­er­a­tor. It’s just like the gen­er­a­tors on fd’s Flickr Toys because it was cre­ated by John Wat­son, Mr. fd him­self. Choose from one of four tem­plates and just click the but­ton to upload a pic­ture from your hard drive. (One hint — leave some room above your head in the picture.)

Use­ful for web badges, pro­file pic­tures, and espe­cially graph­ics for events such as Banned Books Week (which is com­ing up in Sep­tem­ber). If you post yours to Flickr, be sure to add it to the READ posters pool. Here’s my first one, but I’m more inter­ested to see how cre­ative every­one else is. I have a series of posters planned. :-)

my READ mini poster

26 Comments

1. Best READ poster ever! We should start a series of GAME posters with librar­i­ans hold­ing their favorite video game. Dibs on Chrono Trigger!!

Comment by leah — August 7, 2008 @ 7:15 am

2. Love it! http://flickr.com/photos/brungrrl/2740730561/

Comment by Stacy — August 7, 2008 @ 7:40 am

3. Leah, I def­i­nitely want to start a series of GAME posters, too, so jinx on that one! Since I believe there are a lot of games where you do read, I’m also going to do a cou­ple of READ posters hold­ing some of those games. In fact, I have a whole series of non-book-related READ posters I plan to do. :)

Stacy — that is too cool! I just added a note to the post to make sure folks add their mini posters to the READ group on Flickr, so please make sure you do that so that every­one sees it.

Comment by jenny — August 7, 2008 @ 7:46 am

4. This so rocks! Thank you for mak­ing my day!

Comment by Estelle — August 7, 2008 @ 9:22 am

5. Great idea Jenny!

Comment by Darlene Fichter — August 7, 2008 @ 11:17 am

6. Very cool. You are doing such fan­tas­tic work Jenny, thanks! –Nancy

Comment by Nancy Dowd — August 7, 2008 @ 2:12 pm

7. […] your photo to flickr, make sure you add it to the READ Poster photo pool For more infor­ma­tion, read this  post from The Shifted […]

Pingback by pafa.net » Free Mini READ Poster Generator from ALA — August 7, 2008 @ 6:11 pm

8. seri­ously fun and way kool! Con­grats to you and ALA for mak­ing this available.

Comment by Helene — August 7, 2008 @ 8:25 pm

9. Thanks, every­one! I hope you’re hav­ing as much fun with this as I am. :)

Comment by jenny — August 8, 2008 @ 7:56 am

10. […] thanks to “The Shifted Librar­ian” for shar­ing this won­der­ful gem with the rest of us!  You will also want to check out how she is […]

Pingback by Promote Reading With the Free ALA READ Mini Poster Generator! « Georgia Library Media Association — August 13, 2008 @ 6:51 pm

11. Cool, but no option to enter photo URL instead of browse com­puter? BTW, the gen­er­a­tor sup­ports the input of other image for­mats, too, not just the JPG files indi­cated on the form. (At least, it worked with the PNG and GIF files I tested.)

Comment by Brian — August 15, 2008 @ 7:18 am

12. No, sorry, Brian. You can, how­ever, down­load an image off the web to your com­puter and then just upload it from there. I’ll see if we can get the for­mat note mod­i­fied — thanks for the heads up on that.

Will be inter­ested to see your mini posters. :)

Comment by jenny — August 15, 2008 @ 7:28 am

13. Thanks for shar­ing this. I have already pro­duced some for our Banned books dis­play and have a few other ideas. Hav­ing a sim­ple tool to make up some quick promotion/display mate­r­ial is great.

Comment by Rhondda — August 20, 2008 @ 6:11 pm

14. […] to the Shifted Librar­ian blog, I found out that the ALA has cre­ated a very sim­ple lit­tle on-line tool that could be eas­ily used […]

Pingback by READ poster tool « Rhondda’s Reflections - wandering around the Web — August 20, 2008 @ 7:01 pm

15. Fun! I am enjoy­ing all the good exam­ples on the Read Posters Flickr group. My library has the Read Poster CD-Rom, but it requires Pho­to­shop knowl­edge that not every­one has.

Comment by andrea — August 21, 2008 @ 10:04 am

16. Great job, Rhondda!

I’m glad you’re enjoy­ing the gen­er­a­tor, Andrea. If you end up want­ing to make larger ver­sions, there’s a new READ CD blog that can help you with that extra learn­ing curve. You can also ask ques­tions in the comments.

Comment by jenny — August 22, 2008 @ 7:48 am

17. […] great READ mini poster! These icons link to social book­mark­ing sites where read­ers can share and dis­cover new web […]

Pingback by The Shifted Librarian » READ in Second Life — August 26, 2008 @ 7:52 am

18. […] Another great READ mini poster! […]

Pingback by News » READ in Second Life — August 26, 2008 @ 9:22 am

19. […] Another great READ mini poster! […]

Pingback by READ in Second Life — September 6, 2008 @ 8:57 am

20. For some rea­son, the link above to the ALA mini poster gen­er­a­tor leads to a “Page Not Found” mes­sage on the ALA site… Is it still available?

Comment by Katie — September 22, 2008 @ 7:02 pm

21. Hi, Katie — the new web­site went live today, so some links are still get­ting resolved. We’ll have it back for you shortly! Thanks for the heads up on this.

Jenny

Comment by jenny — September 23, 2008 @ 12:16 am

22. Thanks for your patience — the new link is http://www.ala.org/ala/aboutala/hqops/publishing/graphics/READ_Mini_Posters.cfm, and I’ve fixed it in the blog post.

Jenny

Comment by jenny — September 23, 2008 @ 11:06 am

23. […] to start the whole brain­storm­ing process over to come up with a new inter­est­ing gim­mick.  Luck­ily, Jenny Levine came through for me, and sent me the new link–PYL2 saved in the nick of […]

Pingback by Picture Your Library, the sequel « Please Be Quiet — October 1, 2008 @ 2:34 pm

24. The READ mini poster gen­er­a­tor does not work now! Can you help?

Comment by Jeanne — June 8, 2009 @ 9:49 am

25. Sigh — sorry about that, Jeanne. Thanks for the heads up. I fixed the link in the post, but the gen­er­a­tor is now at http://www.ala.org/ala/aboutala/offices/publishing/graphics/READ_Mini_Posters.cfm. Let’s hope it stays there, at least for a lit­tle while!

Comment by jenny — June 8, 2009 @ 9:23 pm

26. […] Reads Pic­ture by Jen­Waller My Study mini poster. You can go through about it at Shifted Librarian’s blog site pub­lish. See the other folks in the pool, and then cre­ate your […]

Pingback by Jen Reads | Writers bloc — May 16, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post. |

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.